In this episode, Jinal Sampat, lead designer at Sampat Jewellers (Instagram @sampatjewellers) shares with us her top 5 tips on how to choose a perfect mangalsutra.
Sampat Jewellers specializes in designing versatile diamond managlsutras for a modern bride.
One of the most important pieces of jewelry in a Hindu wedding is the mangalsutra. This episode will cover:
- What is a mangalsutra?
- Why should you wear a mangalsutra?
- How can you buy a perfect mangalsutra?
- Now what you need to do next that includes an actionable checklist
What is a Mangalsutra?
Mangalsutra is a necklace ornament that symbolizes marriage and is an Indian wedding chain.
Mangalsutra is an Indian wedding chain made of black beads and a gold pendant. In some cultures, the chain consists of simple fine cotton threads twisted together and dyed yellow in saffron or turmeric.
The black beads are made of onyx and composite material. The pendant is made of plain gold and precious stones such as diamonds.
During the wedding ceremony, the priest recites mantras (chants) when the groom ties the mangalsutra around the bride’s neck.
Mangalsutra is usually purchased by the groom’s side of the family. A Hindu wedding is considered to be incomplete without the mangalsutra.
Mangalsutra or “mangalsutram” evolved from a Sanskrit term ‘mangal’ which means prosperous, blessed, happy, successful, and ‘sutram’ meaning cord.
Spiritual Importance of Wearing a Mangalsutra
There are four primary reasons for wearing a mangalsutra:
- The mangalsutra is the symbol of the bond of union between Lord Shiva Hindu deity and his wife Parvati (wife). It represents an inseparable bond between the husband and the wife.
- Married women are expected to wear the mangalsutra throughout their lifetime. It is believed to enhance the well-being of her husband and family.
- Three-knot ties represent important aspects of marriage. The first knot represents her obedience to her husband, the second knot signifies her commitment to the husband’s parents and the third knot represents the respect for God.
- Mangalsutra is usually a black beaded chain in the thin wire of gold. The gold wire and black beads destroy any negative vibrations. The black beads absorb the negative energy before they reach the bride and her family. Simply stated, the mangalsutra acts as a protective sheath around a woman’s body. It protects her marriage from any evil.
One of the most overlooked and uncoordinated aspects of an Indian wedding is choosing a mangalsutra.
Because the groom’s side of the family chooses the mangalsutra. The bride is not consulted.
And now the bride is stuck with an important piece of wedding jewelry for the rest of her life.
I’ll walk you, step by step on how to choose a perfect mangalsutra. This post is for anyone responsible for choosing a mangalsutra – fathers-in-law, mothers-in-law, groom, aunties or the bride herself.
How To Buy a Perfect Mangalsutra?
- Consider a versatile mangalsutra design
- Choose the perfect mangalsutra chain length
- Pick your mangalsutra pendant style
- Know where to buy a mangalsutra from
- Pay attention to the details
Now let’s choose YOUR perfect mangalsutra
I have created a special checklist that you can download or send a text message with the word “MANGALSUTRA” at 44222.
I would like to invite you to check out our mangalsutra designs that I have specifically created for a modern bride. All our pieces are handmade with real diamonds.
Here you can browse the entire diamond mangalsutra collection.
If you are looking to buy a mangalsutra I would love for you to give us an opportunity to help you with this purchase.
Just for podcast listeners, I am offering a code “IWP5”, for a 5% discount on your order. Please apply this code at checkout to get your discount.
Thanks for listening/ reading.
Here are my personal favorite mangalsutra designs.