In the spirit of Holi, the festival for colors, we will look at five unique gemstones that you may have not heard of.
• In China, a pierced jade disk is a symbol of heaven
• Jade is the official gem for the 12th anniversary
• Jade is actually two separate gems: nephrite and jadeite
• Turquoise is the traditional birthstone for the month of December and the gem of the 11th anniversary.
• Ancient Egyptians called turquoise “mefkat,” which also means “joy” and “delight.”
• In the market for top-quality turquoise, stones with no matrix at all command the highest prices. Gems with attractive spiderweb matrix rank second in value.
• Sunstone can have a sparkly, metallic-looking luster
• Sunstones from India are best-known sunstone variety followed by the untreated natural Sunstones from Oregon, United States
• Kunzite, an alternate birthstone for February, gets it’s delicate color from manganese
• This “New” Gem, first recognized in 1902, has relatively few inclusions, so “clean” finished gems in jewelry are common
Fancy Color Diamond
• Diamond is the birthstone for April and the gem of the 10th and 60th anniversaries. Fancy color diamond adds a unique twist to your celebration.
• Only 1 in 10,000 diamonds has a fancy color
• Contrary to gem diamonds, where the value of fancy color diamonds increases with the strength and the purity of the color